Friday, January 24, 2014

Snacks: I will never be able to quit my sugar addiction here...

So today I finally cave in and bought a jar of candied fruits. There were so many choices! I have been having some bad luck with picking out snacks so I was a bit worried and stayed safe with the strawberry. But it was also so cute! 


This jar was 25,000. I forgot how much it cost at Big C, but was not too much from it. 


It doesn't taste too much like strawberry, instead it's more of a mix of tangy and sweet like candy but with the texture of a dried apricot or prune but more firm. The strawberry taste is more hinted at after you chew for a while. It was a good exercise for my teeth, though given the amount of sugar on it, I am a bit worried for my teeth. 

Also introducing some other random snacks!


I actually am not sure what it's called, though I think it's Banh beo... It's a toasted rice paper with fishy/shrimp like crisps on top, so it tastes like a mix of shrimp chips with rice as a base. But because it is toasted rice wrapper, the bottom part can be quite chewy, a good exercise for the teeth! This was quite cheap at 2000. 


This is a sesame ball, except it's the size of my palm... It looks and pretty much taste like the ones in China, except not as good...


I highly disliked the inside filling, which I suspect is green bean or mung bean filling, except there was probably too much flour in the filling and not enough sugar and oil... I dumped out the inside and ate the skin instead. That was pretty delicious. :D


I probably mentioned this in the Hoi An post, but I think the fried donut deserves a review here under street food. It is different than an American donut in that it the dough is mostly not sweet. However, it still is fried and then dipped in cane sugar. A freshly fried one is delicious! The other triangular one on the right side is a piece of fried dough/bread with pâté smeared on top. The left one has coconut shreds on the inside. This was okay as it didn't have much flavor. The same piece of fried dough can be found with green bean filling and peanut filling. 


These colorful little pastries can be found in a number of bakeries. We initially thought they were different, so bought one of each. Well, their filling is very similar with either green bean paste, lotus seed paste or coconut filling. 


This is the green coconut pastry. Because the skin is the multilayered puff pastry type of dough (though softer and not as crispy), combined with a sweet filling, this can be quite rich.

I will need to write an article on fruits as I bought quite a few and will post when I have eaten them all! XD



No comments:

Post a Comment