Monday, January 20, 2014

Cafes Part 2

I should mention that I am actually writing this post as I am sitting in a cafe. :D 

Dollhouse Coffee is another book cafe type of coffee place. It is a lot smaller and is a bit noisier on the inside. 


As you can see, it is quite cutesy as well. The circular stairs in the back leads to a second floor, where there are scenes between seats, though it is also a shoes off and sit on the floor type of cafe. Oh, a secret about these places, pick a seat near the walk so you can lean against the wall. It is better than most places. 


They had some more drink choices than Cafe Velo, which I mentioned in the last post. I tried the Oreo Dá Xay (on the right), which is blended Oreos in milky water. Despite the way it sounds, it was quite good, sweet like everything else I have here... The left is cafe sua dá, iced Vietnamese coffee. 



This is lemon juice with prune juice (the Chinese salted kind). It tastes just like really sweetens lemonade with the salty prunes on the bottom. Very refreshing! My friend attempted to order the yogurt drink, sãu cua, but they didn't have yogurt.... So instead she got the strawberry milk instead! It tasted like fresh strawberries with creamy milk. 


The story of how I ended up ordering this quite unpleasant looking fried fish bal... I tried ordering the Oi Xi muôi (guava) that I liked so much from Velo, but they didn't have it. Then I tried to order the Bap Xaò, which they also don't have. No to the grilled sausage either... My only choices were fries or fish ball... At least the orange chili sauce makes everything taste better!


Moka Coffee is directly across the street from Full House. It is a mix of the street viewing cafe and bookcafe. 



The inside has these cutesy studying areas and also window facing seats and bar stools. The menu also contains some alcoholic drinks as well as granita. Unfortunately, no food! :(


So I got the kiwi lassi, which was more like a kiwi smoothing blend. My friend got the orange soda, which is similar but blended with soda rather than milk/cream. I really think Vietnamese people drink everything blended...


This is the only cup of coffee that I have had so far in my trip. The portion size is too small for me to really enjoy or warm up to, so I have avoided it ever since. The other thing to mention is that the "fresh milk" mentioned in these menus just mean with fresh cream, which is considered special here. 

All cafes offer free wifi, and I have to say this is the most accessible I have been to the Internet. Even in the states, there are not as many coffee shops and not all of them offer such easy access to coffee shops. And with the purchase of one drink, you can sit there as long as you want. 

Though a word on the prices. So Bahn Mi ranges anywhere from 10,000 VND (<50 cents) to 18,000 VND. Coffee usually costs 20,000 to 35,000. Juices and blended drinks usually go for around 30,000 VND, which is about $1.50. Food here is definitely pretty cheap, and most people can afford to sit in a cafe with a cup of coffee. I have yet to figure out salary and such. More to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment