Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Goodbye Da Nang

As I wrap up my one month stay in Da Nang, we decided to try to eat at some of our favorite places, including getting Mi Quang (though Binh was closed...), cafe sua Da, Bac xíu and Oi xi muoi at Velo. We aspired to also get Banh Mi to go, but it got to be too much. 

Most places were still closed for Tet, but the sun was shining and the weather was warm, which left me with a lasting memory of the Da Nang river shining with the under the sun.


This was a trip of self realizations, experience, gluttony and of course, meeting some beautiful people. We made friends with some of the doctors at the hospital, and I was really sad to say goodbye to the Fulmar hotel staff. 

I am very glad my friend came with me as it is lonely and so much harder for me to be an adventuring spirit without her. It was nice for her to observe me and give me feedback that I will incorporate both professionally and personally. I really must be more careful with choosing my words and understand the implication of what I say and do and the effects on others. 

There were many times where I was angry and frustrated during my trip. It made me realize the attachment that I have to things which are familiar and that I definitely experience cultural shock everytime I move despite having had so many moves in the past. I really must be more open minded about experiencing hardships and not underestimating my own ability to adapt to my environment. Also, I have been humbled by my own ability to plan and take care of details. The frustrations that I experienced both in the initial Hoi An trip and the Angkor trip taught me to think twice about making a plan. 

In the more positive light, I hope that I can continue to hone my Vietnamese and also work on cooking Vietnamese cuisine. I also will continue to seek out another global health experience. I think there are certain things that can be lacking by going as a resident and that my next trip would be better if it was a medical mission trip rather than a learning experience. I would like to return to a country that I know better as I will be more useful, though I would like to experience what Cambodian people really live like as well. 

As far as traveling, this trip made me realize that I am not particularly found of sightseeing and being a tourist. Man made wonders are great for pictures, but I like to read about the cultural significance outside of the wonder. But looking back, I do appreciate natural beauty more, namely the Safari and biking through the Angkor to experience the Cambodian natural scenery was mor appealing to me than the temples themselves. I must visit Salar de Uyuni someday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment