Monday, September 3, 2012

Empty

Today's society has such a short attention span. We have become confined to limited spaces. Text messaging, a conversation limited by 160 characters. Twitter, limited by 240 words. Youtube videos, usually no more than 10 minutes. Because of the information overload, we are constantly shifting out attention, so things of limited spaces have become so popular.

I remember when text messaging first came out, I thought it was so rude to look down on one's phone while conversing with people. But these days, it's almost expected that you reply right away, so you almost have to break social etiquette for such things. Having an in depth conversation only occurs when you are truly enthralled by the conversation (or the other person). And yet because of our limited attention spans, our conversation jumps from topic to topic without ever going too deep. We avoid topics that will arouse the other person's passion and instead choose to stick with easy conversations such as tv shows, sports and news. I can't decide if it is good or bad, especially when I am so entrenched it, but I do find myself longing at times to have something, anything, that can fully grab my attention away.

Today was my hermit day, which is the day that I recharge. I spent most of the day wondering listlessly from one activity to another. Play games for a while, do homework for a while, check twitter for a while, halfway maintain an online chat, oh and maybe clean my room a bit then cook for a bit. But I didn't really want to do any of these things, and in the end, I felt quite empty. I didn't know what I wanted to do, just like I don't know what I am trying to express with this blog entry. Perhaps I should leave it at that and end this very pointless and listless day by going to bed. Perhaps there will be more order in the dream world.

No comments:

Post a Comment